Sunday, February 6, 2011

FARM

I woke up at 5:30 and can't go back to sleep.  I usually write my blog around 9 p.m, but Joe was on the computer, so I didn't get it written.  Well, here I am now.

It was another farm day.  We headed out and all the streets were clear, so we had no problem getting there.  As we were driving along we wondered where we were going to park because it is really tight around there and we figured with the snow all the parking would be taken.  But God was good to us and we got a space across the street from the farm.  Walking to the front gate we had to jump over puddles (yay the snow is melting) and avoid dog dirt.  Why don't people pick up after their dogs?  I have friends with dogs and they all carry bags and pick up after them.  That is so inconsiderate.

So anyway there really wasn't a theme this week.  I think they are having trouble trying to get things for us.  The pickings are kind of slim.  We got:
     a package of baby arugula
     3 Asian pears  (never had them; this will be interesting)
     2 lbs. of sweet potatoes (I haven't used the ones from last time!)
     a 4-oz. jar of pear preserves
     2 lbs. container of heirloom white corn meal
     a piece of Cowtipper cheese (there were all these different kinds of cheese I had never heard of so I just blindly chose this one.  Hope we like it.)
     2 yogurts (one chocolate, one vanilla)
     a dozen eggs
     4 chicken sausages
     2 small jars of honey made on the farm 


I didn't know what to do with most of the things this week, so I went on allrecipes.com and got some ideas.  Since I have been out of work we have been very frugal with our food money.  I have gotten it down to $50-$75 every other week for the two of us by using all the farm stuff.  I plan to keep it up even when I start getting paid.


Don't know if I mentioned it yesterday, but I was told I may not get on payroll for this next pay period so I might not get paid until the first week of March.  That's a long time to wait!


After the farm we met my friend Carol for lunch.  She works at the library I used to work at and she was working today.  We went to Mario Brothers across the street from the library.  It's a pizza/sandwich type restaurant.  We again drove on icy streets and couldn't find a place to park.  I went into the parking lot behind the restaurant even though it was ice covered.  It was a LOT icier than I thought it was.  There was a lady there whose car had fallen into a huge pothole covered with ice.  She was very stuck.  A letter carrier and Joe both tried to get her out, but it was impossible.  When we left she was calling for a tow truck.


I decided to move out of the lot.  Since it was getting late, I dropped Joe off at the library and told him to get Carol and meet me at Mario's.  I drove around the block and was able to get meter parking.  I don't know if they were even checking to see if anyone paid, but I did.  I didn't want to get a ticket.


We had a nice lunch.  Ruth, whom I also used to work with, came in to pick up her sandwich and I got to talk with her.  That was nice.


Then it was home again to put the food away and take a nap.  Still not up to these whole days.  We'll see how I do this week.

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, I am glad to hear that you have the okay to go back to work. Just be careful. Think before you pick up something. Okay?

    Alan and I went to church this morning. I was so delighted to be there and in good health! What a week! Praise God we are fine now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cherdecor, I am DEFINITELY thinking before I do anything at work. I do not want a set back. But my co-workers are great and have already offered to help me.

    Glad to hear you were well enough to go to church. That is good news!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.